Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have a 10 year old black lab. 3 months ago the dog had

Customer Question

Hello there,
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: We have a 10 year old black lab.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: 3 months ago the dog had surgery for infection in his leg.. I had noticed he had developed a scabby skin condition and inflamation on his scrorum. The vet neutered him and removed a growth causing the leg infection. within a week we noticed severe dry nose. cracking scabing peeling..The vet checked him and said to use bag balm several times a day. 2 months later he still has dry nose. Seems to be ok in all other ways. same energy, eats well. Still has good sense of smell. Thank you.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Dog was on antibiotics for 2 weeks after surgery.Vet seemd to think the nose isue was related to infection.Should resolve itself.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry that your guy still has this nose problem....because he is a bit older, there are a few other conditions that could cause this. The most likely is that your guy is suffering from an autoimmune disease called Lupus that will cause this scabby nose problem that is non responsive to other medications. The only way to know for sure is to have your vet biopsy your guys nose and run blood work...this will tell you exactly what is causing this and how best to treat this.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is Lupus a contagious disease ? How long to contract ? I am thinking the dog may have contracted whatever this is at the vets office. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Blood work at surgery showed no autoimmune problems.

That is great that no immune mediated problem seen on lab work but the biopsy and cultures will help. Lupus is not contagious and specific to the dog that is affected. Please let me know what the results are if you have time...Thanks!!

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
A few more questions and we will call it good.
It will be a month or so before we see the vet again.
Assuming the dog has Lupus.
What are the long term effects of Lupus ?
Is Lupus painfull ?
Is Lupus fatal ?
Thank You.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 30 days ago.

Not to worry. This is called Discoid Lupus and is limited to the nose. It is treated with steroids that will resolve this. It is not painful or fatal. There are other forms of Lupus that can be very serious but this is not one of them. This LINK will explain in more detail.