Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

What would be the dose of tramadol for a 6 1/2 pound 4 year

Customer Question

What would be the dose of tramadol for a 6 1/2 pound 4 year old min-pin chihuahua mix?
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: Yes she is having pain when I pick her ups. There is no swellings, outward sign of injuries, no cuts or bruises. I think my bigger 1/2 lab knocked her down the stairs when I wasn't home.
JA: Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: I am an oral surgeon. I no signs of bleeding, no signs of chest or abdominal distention.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: She's been not wanting to eat. But she will eat her treat. Its getting cold here in Oregon and when shes cold she does shiver. But she is shivering a bit more unless she's resting next to me. It seems like shivering from being in pain. If I'm real gentle to pick her up she is ok but is a little shy. If I touch her sides near her lower ribs she'll yelp & howl for a few seconds but that occurs intermittently..
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I just wonder if she's bruised her ribs. Otherwise she's been a big dog in a small dog's body.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Linda & I hope I can help with your question today.

According to Plumb's Veterinary Formulary, the dose of tramadol is 2-4 mg/kg every 6-12 hours.

I hope this is the information you requested & your dog is feeling better soon.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 28 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is better now. I didn't get any transformation and she has healed fine after 20 days or so. I think she got bruised probably because our bigger dog is a klutz and probably knocked her down the stairs. Thanks for your response.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 17 days ago.

You are welcome.