Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

She's allergic to beef and she claws her ears bloody and

Customer Question

She's allergic to beef and she claws her ears bloody and breaks out in hives what medications can I give her , she's a 105 lb pit bull at 10 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: MaggieMae
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about MaggieMae?
Customer: No that about does it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The best thing to do for your sweet MaggieMae is to give her Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of her weight every 12 hrs. This is an anti histamine available over the counter at the pharmacy that will decrease the hives and take away the itch. Sometimes, if the allergic reaction is severe, MaggieMae may require a steroid injection from your vet but in most cases, this will be enough to stop this process, especially the hives and itching.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****