Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is 13 this weekend he was fine eating bathroom everything

Customer Question

He is 13 this weekend he was fine eating bathroom everything came home three hour ride laid down threw up peed has not moved what do I do for him he doesn't want to get upūüėĘ
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He just got over a UTI was doing so well until our ride home I'm so scared don't know what to do for him
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He just got up very weak peed outside now laying down again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did his vomit look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Was the urine dilute/watery or dark?

Canhe move his back legs? Can he stand if you lift him up?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
His vomit was his food 4 hours after he ate gums are pink he got up himself but real wobbly hasn't drank water should I bring him some
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Urine normal color
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Thank you,

Now if he is wobbly when he is standing, he likely felt to weak to rise to pass urine. So, the accident is likely a side effect of our main issue. And in regards ***** ***** would cause wobbliness and vomiting both, the most likely issues are car sickness, toxicity, middle ear disease, and with him being an older dog we could also see these signs with vestibular disease ("old dog syndrome").

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Finally, for vestibular disease, its effects and the wobbliness tends to settle on it own within a few days. Though for persisting cases, we'd want his vet to treat with anti-inflammatories. And at the same time, his vet can rule other concerns and less common ones like middle ear masses or brain issues (ie inflammation, bleeding, cyst, growth, etc).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach while letting those wobbliness signs settle. Though if he doesn't respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him and treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- anti-inflammatories to try to get him back on his feet and back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He did go outside on his own to pee he threw up eight o'clock last night hasn't since I just put water in front of him he didn't want it thank you for all the info
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that he can get up to go, but do try the antacids to see if you can soothe his stomach so he feels like eating and drinking for us.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
One more question I have chewable pepto bismol can I give this to him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hi again,

I wouldn't use Pepto Bismol here since its better for diarrhea, could cause constipation in normal stool passing dogs, and the salicylic acid can upset the stomach. So, those I noted are better options for this situation.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thank you again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.