Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My small dog just ate my my cat's thyroid medication, Chloe.

Customer Question

My small dog just ate my my cat's thyroid medication
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe. A little over 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: No. she's 17 lbs and very healthy. The pill was a half dose of 5 mg of methimazole
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to let you know that this won't cause any harm for Chloe. It isn't a medication we use often in dogs, but the dose for cats is much lower then the therapeutic dose for dogs. So, we could see a bit of stomach upset if anything at all. So you need only monitor Chloe for any potential GI upset here for the next 24 hours. If she does seem unsettled, then you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )