How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19121
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 50 lbs boxer just ate 8-10 assorted chocolates. A mix

Customer Question

My 50 lbs boxer just ate 8-10 assorted chocolates. A mix between milk and dark chocolate. I got her to drink some water but not sure what I should do next
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 27 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 27 days ago.

Hello again

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Laila very much, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate { which is more toxic than milk chocolate } mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight are ingested. Severe signs occur when one ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 50 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 15 ozs { close to one pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. 10 assorted chocolates will be nowhere near that weight.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Laila's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 26 days ago.

Hello again Christina,

I am just checking back in to see how Laila is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolates issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 23 days ago.
Hi Christina Petersen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Laila. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am fine. Yes Laila is okay.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 23 days ago.

Thanks for the update, I thought she would be OK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.