Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a pitbull that will be 7 in about a week, no lately

Customer Question

i have a pitbull that will be 7 in about a week
JA: Is the animal in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: no lately ive been noticing that hes been really itchy and has been losing weight even tho his food intake hsnt changed also hes shedding more than normal and he has some scabby patches on his back
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian.
Customer: is it even fleas?
JA: Have there been any changes in appearance or diet?
Customer: not particularly he seems hungrier actually
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: since ive had him hes had a mole on the back of his neck, recently i noticed something similar on his butt this was before the symptoms started
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

With any dog that has developed hair loss, scabbing and itchy skin, the first thing that we need to rule out is fleas. On some dogs it is easy to find fleas, but not always. A few things you can do at home to help him: Get a chlorihexidine based shampoo to bathe him with and let the shampoo sit on his skin for at least 5 minutes before rinsing. Make sure that you have him on a good flea product, such as a Seresto Collar (available on amazon or chewy.com for around $47 and last for 8 months). And third, you can start him on plain benedryl at 1 mg per pound body weight by mouth every 12 hours. This should also help with the itch. If you do this and you are not seeing improvement within a couple of weeks, then you need to take him to your local veterinarian for a skin scrape and antibiotics. For the weight loss, it would be a good idea to have some blood work at your vets. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue to post on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he doesnt have a regular vet as I am moving and leaving him with a friend in another state for some time. is it possible to self diagnose?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also, ive given him numerous baths and changed his bedding. there isnt any carpet in my house so vacuuming wasnt a thing but i did sweep and mop vigorously

So if it is fleas, then mopping and sweeping won't really help. You really need to start a good flea product like the Seresto. It is the most effective and least expensive on the market. The chlorihexidine shampoo is an antibacterial shampoo so will help with scabbing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what stores sells that product?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-antiseptic-skin-cleanser/ID=prod6051051-product?ext=gooPLA_-_Beauty&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6048601&sst=5cd282a1-fd43-446b-8ac0-2ac9caa8093b <<< something like this?

no. Let me post a link for you

https://www.chewy.com/douxo-chlorhexidine-ps-shampoo-dogs/dp/110818

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks. also, if it was fleas, wouldnt they hav bitten me by now?

Not at all. They usually do not go for people. Only is there is a large infestation in the environment. Some dogs are very sensitive to flea bites and will have a huge reaction with just a bite or two.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
gotcha

Have a good night. I will be online for a couple of hours if you have any other questions. Take care

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there any oral medication i can give him to speed up the process or is seresto and a bath it?

You can get Capstar. I need to check real quick to see if it is available over the counter.

And yes it is. https://www.chewy.com/capstar-flea-tablets-dogs-over-25/dp/52940

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. that works faster than seresto?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
or should i double down and give him an oral medication and then a flea collar for future prevention?

Capstar kills the fleas that are on the body within a few hours and the Seresto will start to work in 24 hours. It is very safe to do both.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
gotcha. 1 more question: i hear coconut oil is good to add to their food for coat issues. is that true?

Coconut oil is a healthy fat, but it is not the best to add for their coat and it can cause problems with pancreatitis. I would use Salmon oil. https://www.chewy.com/grizzly-salmon-oil-dog-cat/dp/32737 safer and more effective. Good for their joints, kidneys, skin and heart

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks so much

Your welcome. Have a nice night.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you do the same

thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill