Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 7 year old Border Collie named Soldier Boy. He has

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old Border Collie named Soldier Boy. He has been holding up his left leg and limping a bit I looked at the pad on his foot it does not seem to be injured in any way. She is very touchy about his butt and tail and scooting around on his butt could this possibly have anything to do with his anal glands
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: cant see one
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Soldier?
Customer: has been very healthy. he is eating and going out as usaul
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If he is scooting a lot, then his anal glands are most likely impacted or infected/abscessed. Those are the most common causes of scooting. The only way I can related it to the limping would be if there is a bad enough anal gland abscess. Even then, you usually do not see limping with anal gland abscesses. These could be separate issues. If there is a spinal cord or spinal nerve problem, that can cause limping and being uncomfortable around the rear end. Scooting is just not common with it. If you can lift his tail and see if there is a swelling on either side of the anus, that would most likely be an anal gland abscess. An anal gland tumor can cause a swelling as well, but he is a little young to expect that. If not neutered, then it could be a hernia in that area. Hernias there are common with intact male dogs. If he is acting normal otherwise and doesn't seem to be in distress, I would just monitor him tonight and have him seen by your vet if still doing this in the morning. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Soldier Boy is doing and to see if you have any further questions.