Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a four month old puppy that's not eating or drinking.

Customer Question

Hi!! I have a four month old puppy that's not eating or drinking. He was fine on Friday. Yesterday he just wanted to lay around all day and wouldn't eat or drink. Today he is very lethargic and has thick saliva dripping from his mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duke
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Duke?
Customer: He did chew on a piece of wood that was treated with creosote. Was wondering if he was poisoned by it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

About how much Creosote did he ingest?

Is he having diarrhea too?

Has he had anything to eat and drink in the past 24 hours.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First, he chewed on this on Friday. He drank some water and ate a little food yesterday but mostly stayed on the couch. He drank a little bit of water this morning but won't eat. He has had dry heaves with thick mucus like saliva coming from his mouth. His gums are white and he had mucus around his eyes. He has had some diarhea but it was mostly bloody.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

Ok thank you. If his gums are white he needs to see the emergency vet right away. The white gums can indicate anemia, internal bleeding, shock, or a problem with oxygen circulating in the body.

It could be from the creosote but it could also be the parvo virus or another infection.

Can you take him to the emergency clinic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we have an emergency clinic about two hours away. Is there anything we can do for him until we can get there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, he's the only puppy of the seven we have that's in this condition. The others are healthy, eating drinking and active.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

How much does the puppy weigh?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby