Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 10 month old pit bully is not eating, she's drinking

Customer Question

Our 10 month old pit bull bully is not eating, she's drinking some water but then throwing it up shortly afterwards. She's possibly pregnant also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bull eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. this morning I had to clean up a large pile of vomit. In it, there were several pieces of a rawhide that we had given her.
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bull's name?
Customer: Karma
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Karma?
Customer: She hasn't had any shots that we know of. She just adopted her a week ago. We got her from the pound and she was covered in ticks. Our vet here, they did the heart worm test and the test for tick something?? Both came back negative.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider a recheck evaluation by your veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control. In situations like this your pet was vaccinated if adopted by a shelter so please contact them tomorrow to try to get records of this.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Karma comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

The vomiting maybe related to the stress of adoption, picking something up at the shelter that didn't manifest until now, or unrelated so having your vet evaluate her tomorrow if there is no change will be strongly advised...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We've taken her out several times today. She will barely walk around. She doesn't eat any grass, I was hoping she would, at least it would possibly help her nausea. The pound that we got her from, no she doesn't have any shots, accept for the rabies that I got her after we picked her up. Our vet wouldn't give her the vaccines due to theres a good chance she's pregnant. I have an appointment for her on Tuesday but I needed to find out if I could give her anything to help settle her stomach. I didn't know if Pedialyte would help or not.

If she is actively vomiting water then no we cannot give her anything orally to treat her condition because she will only vomit more and become increasingly dehydrated. She requires injectable medications to treat her condition to bypass the intestinal tract and fluids either iv or under the skin to promote hydration

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand, thank you.

You are very welcome, please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long could she go without water?

Not very long, especially with active vomiting. If you check her gums and they are dry or you twist her skin between her shoulder blades and they do not spring right back this indicates dehydration

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I mean with just a few teaspoons of water every now and
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it. I wouldn't have thought giving her more water would make her become dehydrated faster . I'll check her again and we might be taking her to the animal hospital this evening, they have a 24 hour ER for pets

Again this would be against medical advise if she is actively vomiting because it will increase dehydration not improve it.

I am definitely concerned with the vomiting of water and the overall status you describe, I think a 24 hour er would be a wise decision for your new adoptee

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you

You are very welcome, and truly wishing you the best and a speedy recovery