Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is throwing up and having diarrhea for about a week

Customer Question

hi there, my dog is throwing up and having diarrhea for about a week now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: i dont think so i did give her the heart worm medication a week ago
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she is 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about mercy?
Customer: she is just ending her first heat cycle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having vomiting and diarrhea. It sounds like it might be a reaction to the heart worm prevention you are using but can also be stress related to her first heat cycle as well. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Mercy comfortable and whether this is related to the dewormer or unrelated

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i shouldn't give her gravol or pepto bismol?

I apologize for the delay, my computer froze!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is that medication that you recommended over the counter?

I think the site is having issues, unfortunately pepto is not effective in this situation in pets and turns the stool black which can be confused with an upper gi bleed and gravel also is not as effective as pepcid or prilosec for gi upset. Yes they are both over the counter available at your grocery or pharmacy

Does this information make sense? Can I assist or clarify anything today?

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Mercy doing? I would love an update when you are able...

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!