Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog had puppys 6days ago and it's her first litter. She

Customer Question

My dog had puppys 6days ago and it's her first litter. She had 3 puppys and I've noticed that one of them has really dark blue lips today. Its the first day that they have been that way. Why? Also why is it that I find her sitting on all of them a lot? Why?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your question. Is it just one puppy that has the dark blue lips? Does he or she seem to be breathing ok? How are the other puppies? Are they all suckling ok?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Are you still there Adam?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it's just the one and I think he is breathing. Ok. Not really is it possible that the mother dosent have a lot of milk
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hello
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Hi Adam - yes, it is possible she doesn't have a lot of milk. Are the puppies doing fine otherwise? Or are they crying a lot?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Not a hole lot
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I could try and send a picture
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Yes, that'd be great if you could

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

The dark blue lips definitely sound worrying as in this pup may not be getting enough oxygen. Depending on the breed, it could also be pigment forming however.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

In the meantime if you can, please check the pups mucus membranes and refill time as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
She was trying to suffocate the puppy again
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Hi again - don't panic, she isn't doing it on purpose, she is a first time mom and obviously a bit clumsy. Please check this pups gums and refill time as above. It could just be pigment of the lips. Does the color of the lips change with time, or are they always this color? Is this pups breathing any different from the others?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Should I move the puppy from her
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

What breed is Mom and what breed was the dad?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

The pup will need to suckle. See if you can get mom to lie down and relax, then put the pup on a nipple and keep an eye on them both from there.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I've been doing that. Its not working
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He's twitching and barely moving around and breathing
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Ok - that is reason enough to get him seen by your local vet or ER vet straight away. This in combination with is change in pigment of his lips is reason enough to play it safe and have him checked over.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

If Mom keeps lying on him and he can't suckle, then the vet team may have to give you some milk formula to feed him carefully yourself. If you can get him seen now, please do. While is possible this is just pigment he is developing, if he has a primary respiratory issue, his condition could very quickly deteriorate as he is so young.
All the best with this little one and let me know how you get on.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 28 days ago.

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance Adam.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 27 days ago.

Hi Adam - how did you get on with this little one at the vet?