Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a 5 year old female dog (deaf). She is urinating on

Customer Question

We have a 5 year old female bull dog (deaf). She is urinating on her bedding. This is happening more frequently, what could the problem be?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dot
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Dot?
Customer: she has a luxating pattellas (knees)
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 29 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Just to confirm, she is urinating while sleeping and not aware? Is she spayed please?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
she is spayed. at times she will awake and lick the bedding, the order is terrible.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
i mean odor

This unfortunately can be quite common in spayed dogs

First, even though she is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking and the strong odor can indicate a urinary tract infection. I had a patient like this just last week who had a very powerful infection we needed to treat to stop the leaking.

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

If a uti is diagnosed then antibiotics will be warranted and hopefully her symptoms will subside!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control her urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Does this information make sense? You can increase her water intake today by flavoring her water (no salt broth for example) and adding water to her meals to "flush" out the bladder in case this is a urinary tract infection but it may increase her licking as well

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman