petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My in-laws older labrador has had a swollen leg for a while

Customer Question

my in-laws older labrador has had a swollen leg for a while now. he seems to be licking his foot and it seems to be oozing, i can't find where though. Is there something i can do until we can get him to the vet? He is an outdoor dog and we have had multiple emergencies with my father in law recently. thanks
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: i haven't found one
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: Not diet. Appearance not really- just limping. He has always had trouble with that leg, and arthritis
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: Not that i can think of. Thanks
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 28 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 28 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is the whole leg swollen or just the paw where he is licking?

If you separate the paw pads and look at the skin, it is inflammed or irritated looking?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Whole leg unfortunately
Expert:  petdrz replied 28 days ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

That is much more concerning than if just the paw was swollen and can indicate problems with circulation as can be seen in heart disease or diseases that affect the flow of blood to the legs, such as tumors. Arthritis does not usually cause the whole leg to swell. It may be that he is licking due to discomfort from the swelling, but until the cause of the swelling is identified, not much can be done to relieve it. If it is oozing, it may be due to irritation from his licking, especially if it remains moist. You may be able to provide some relief by soaking the foot he is licking in cool water epsom salt soaks.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ty
Expert:  petdrz replied 28 days ago.

You are most welcome.

Expert:  petdrz replied 26 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
petdrz
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Unfortunately we took him to the vet and it was determined to be bone cancer. We lost the dog ☹️️��