petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 11 mo old puppy ate part of a plastic hanger this am. So

Customer Question

My 11 mo old puppy ate part of a plastic hanger this am. So far he is acting ok. Found small pieces on floor. He ate the piece you hang over rod
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Max today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How large of a piece of plastic would you estimate that he ate? Does it look like he chewed them into smaller pieces or is it possible that he ingested it as one larger piece?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't know. The part he ate hangs over the rod. It is all gone except a couple of small pieces smaller than a half dime
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

If he chewed the part that was ingested into smaller pieces before he swallowed them, that is better than if he ate the whole end piece. I suspect that is what happened since to eat the whole thing, it would have to snap off, and that is less likely. In any case, if there is a large piece, he is a risk for GI obstruction if it tries to pass and gets hung up anywhere along the tract. Signs of a possible obstruction could include possible vomiting, anorexia or abdominal discomfort. Even if he chewed it into smaller pieces before swallowing, there is risk of GI discomfort if there are sharp edges. It would be best to offer him a few pieces of bread to eat to hopefully coat any sharp edges that may be in his gut currently and continue to monitor him for any of the above mentioned signs. If you see any of them, he really needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian for possible obstruction. In the meantime, I would also monitor his stools to see what he is passing over the next 24 hours.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z