Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 2 week old puppy has these weird hard spots on its fur.

Customer Question

Hi. My 2 week old puppy has these weird hard spots on its fur.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Butterball
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Butterball?
Customer: No. She's very healthy. She's nursing with her mom and is very strong. The hardness doesn't seem to bother her, but it was only on her leg and now it's spreading onto her back
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern over Butterball. It sounds as if she may have pyoderma which means a skin infection. Such things happen in puppies from time to time since their little immune systems are not very strong. In fact, I've actually had it develop in a few of the puppies I've bred through the years.

Topical therapy is the best way to approach these puppies: Hibiclens which can be purchased at the pharmacy is a good choice as is shampoos with chlorhexidine. Bathe twice weekly and let the shampoo sit on the skin for about 10 minutes before washing off.

I hope this helps. Deb