Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog is drinking large amounts of water and then

Customer Question

Our dog is drinking large amounts of water and then urinating a large amount as well. It's clear. She had her ear operated on a couple weeks ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Emmy
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Emmy?
Customer: She's a 6 year old boxer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is she on any medication just now?

Is the urine quite dilute or watery?

Any weight loss or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a couple weeks, but getting worse, it's very clear, no weight loss. she didn't eat her food this morning
she takes something for itchy skin: Apoquel
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a couple days ago she got into my daughters halloween candy but we determined she didn't have much. She did have some diarreah after that situation
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Oh dear,

If Emmy has watery/dilute urine along with increased thirst, this isn't likely related to the candy (unless there were grapes/raisins in them). Instead, we'd be more concerned about a possible bladder infection (though usually they pass small frequent volumes), diabetes mellitus, kidney disease, Cushing's disease, Addison's disease and hypercalcemia (usually secondary to cancer).

To get to the bottom of what is triggering her signs, it would be worth having her checked by her vet. The vet will be able to have a feel of her and just make sure there are no sinister lumps and bumps to blame for her signs. As well, you may consider having the vet check a blood or urine sample at this stage to give you an idea if her organs are in distress or if a hormonal issue is to blame for her signs.

That said, if costs are a concern or you wanted to take things slowly, then a urine sample can be an economical and non-invasive means of ruling out some of our concerns. For example, urine can be tested in-house by the vet to check for signs of diabetes (ie. sugar in the urine), urinary based infection (ie bacteria, white blood cells), as well as check its specific gravity (how concentrated it is) that can tell us if there are problems with her kidneys lurking. So, this would be a non-invasive means to start ruling out some of the above triggers for her signs. Depending on the findings of your vet's exam and bloods/urine, you will be in a position to know which of these concerns are affecting her, how you can best address them, and what her long term prognosis may be.

Overall, I share your concern about Emmy's increased thirst and urination. Therefore, in this situation, it would be ideal to consider taking some steps with her vet to rule out and identify which of the above conditions are behind her abnormal signs. Because the sooner we can do so, the sooner we can treat her and try to settle this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.