Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog panting constantly, always thirsty, vomitting lots,

Customer Question

Dog panting constantly , always thirsty, vomitting lots, whining constantly, very restless
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down? Has her increased thirst only started with the other signs?

Is she spayed?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
24hrs, vomit is watery, is spayed, gums pink and sticky, no tummy discomfort, not really keeping water down, last question no
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear JJ has no discomfort and isn't likely to have eaten anything dangerous. Though I need to note that her sticky gums are a dehydration sign, so water cannot be restricted for her. You can offer small sips or ice cubes to slow her drinking but don't withhold water as it could harm her.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with JJ. It sounds like she is getting dehydrated, so we need to give her water access and be proactive here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated when you check those other parameters, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.
Hi Sacha Sporri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jj. How is everything going?

Dr. B.