Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

11 yr old skye terrier was diagnosed with CHF without x-rays

Customer Question

11 yr old skye terrier was diagnosed with CHF without x-rays or tests. Was stung by wasp this summer and suffered slight seizure and collapsed. Vet heard cough and said he was in CHF. Now on lasix and Vetmedin. Cough is deep (like Croup) not wet and appears worse than ever before. Vetmedin can cause cough and shortness of breath which he has now. should I try to wean off Vetmedin to see if it slows down these symptoms as I am unsure of the actual diagnosis. I can keep on lasix but need a better understanding of what is really happening here.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the Skye terrier?
Customer: was in good health until wasp sting and bad reaction to it. all this happened after that.....the diagnosis was immediately upon rushing him to hospital after the sting when he heard him cough.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he been on treatment?

Was this condition only diagnosed by a cough?

Did the vet say he had a murmur or fluid in his lungs?