Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He ate one of my nephew's Medical marijauna cookies. bubba

Customer Question

he ate one of my nephew's Medical marijauna cookies.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your nephew's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: bubba 12 year old yellow Labrador 88 pounds. he is just laying dow kind of relaxed dont want to move. breathing fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Labrador?
Customer: no just came out of vet appointment witb a very good check up. very healthy and strong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How many hours ago did he eat this?

How is he just now?

How much marijuana was in the cookie he had?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my nephew said he doesot know. he said the cookie last about 4-6 hrs for a human dependingon tolerance. so I believe that probably would be light almost like a joint to a human- possibly like one gram of marijauna...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

How is Bubba now though? Just sedate? Any other signs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just sedate laying down. he cant really walk he has scooted about 4ft across the floor on his belly. forthe mist part sedated. tried to wet his lips with water he couldnotlift his head.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he ate the cookie about 5PM
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now I am glad to hear that he is jut sedate since we can see some dogs show GI upset ,severe depression, walking as if drunk, become comatose, have low heart rate, low blood pressure, respiratory depression, cry, and have seizures. So, if it has been a few hours already (I cannot see your time zone listed, so not sure how long ago 5pm was), we'd hope we are at peak effect and won't see any other signs.

In any case, if he likely only had ~1g, that isn't a fatal dose and often these signs will settle within 24 hours. Though I'd note that if he had this in the past 8 hours, you could start activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we do want to gently use some supportive care. Make sure he stays warm while he is down, since they can get a chill with inactivity. As well, we'd want to try to keep him eating and can plan to use a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, we want to encourage him to drink (water, lactose free milk, low salt chicken broth) to keep him hydrated. If he is struggling, you may need to gently syringe fluids with care. Of course, if you need to do that his daily total dose (to divide over the day) is weight based and is ~1.9L.

Just in case he does develop those other signs and you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )