Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 6 year old, 23 lb mini schnauzer showed slightly elevated

Customer Question

My 6 year old, 23 lb mini schnauzer showed slightly elevated liver enzymes and said to watch her diet. I take 4 mg daily for elevated liver enzymes from RA meds. Can folic acid help her? If so how much? Suppose to get her checked in 3 months. She's been on prescription low fat food for 1 year with few treats. My other 12 year old mini schnauzer is a diabetic so both gets the same food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: She's never been sick started drinking lots of water checked blood sugar and it was perfect
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The first thing I'd like you to do is to check the exact ALT and AP liver enzyme values. They may not be significanlty elevated. For example, we need to see the ALT 2-3X high normal (usually 200-300) and the AP 3-4 X high normal (usually 300-400) before we consider those enzymes significantly elevated. To answer you directly, when supplementing with neutraceuticals in order to support the liver, we usually prescribe silymarin (milk thistle) and/or SAMe. A combination product (Denamarin) containing both silymarin and SAMe is available through Sophie's vet or online. Folic acid may be prescribed in malabsorption syndromes in dogs but isn't of value in hepatopathies. It's essentially non-toxix, however, and wouldn't be harmful to Sophie.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?