Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is almost 5 months and i did not know you give them 5

Customer Question

My dog is almost 5 months and i did not know you give them 5 and one shot at 6 weeks i just found out and i gave it early thur the day and he just throw up green stuff and he and he drinks water a little bit i really worry
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: My kids the other night gave him hamburger and french fries and he throw the up cause we see it what came out and i told them they can not do that
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He is alert when you say his name and when i say you want to go outside he does
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to know what to do is he going to be ok
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now based on your history, we have a few concerns. Its possible that the GI signs are a sensitivity reaction to his vaccine, that he had a brewing infection already and the vaccine has distracted the immune system and thus allowed the infection to take root, your kids have given more food, or we have a pancreatitis from the fatty/rich food they gave before.

In any case, as long as he has pink gums, no belly pain, and can breathe comfortably; we'd want to try to counter this GI upset. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, these signs raise a few concerns for your lad. Therefore, we'd want to treat symptomatically here. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can confirm our concerns and treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )