Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 23 lb Pug got into some cocoa butter and ate about 7

Customer Question

Hi my 23 lb Pug got into some cocoa butter and ate about 7 ounces of it. He sound like he's whimpering a little. What can or should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the pug will be able to digest that. What is the pug's name and age?
Customer: Oscar. 6.5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: No He's a really great healthy pug
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 30 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Cocoa butter contains almost no chocolate and thus a negligible amount of theobromine - the toxic xanthine derivative in chocolate that can cause agitation, vomiting, and tremors when ingested in sufficient amount. Seven ounces of that fat, however, is bound to cause gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. How long ago do you think Oscar ingested the cocoa butter, please?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?