Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 year old, 23 lb mini schnauzer showed slightly elevated

Customer Question

My 6 year old, 23 lb mini schnauzer showed slightly elevated liver enzymes and said to watch her diet. I take 4 mg daily for elevated liver enzymes from RA meds. Can folic acid help her? If so how much? Suppose to get her checked in 3 months. She's been on prescription low fat food for 1 year with few treats. My other 12 year old mini schnauzer is a diabetic so both gets the same food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: She's never been sick started drinking lots of water checked blood sugar and it was perfect
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 30 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** *****'s liver concerns, we do not usually use folic acid for these cases but there is no harm in trying this with her. In regards ***** ***** we'd likely start with a low dose (since she will be getting this in her food too) and could thus give her 2 milligrams daily. Otherwise, I would suggest considering supplementing her with Denamarin (LINK) or a milk thistle based product as these are both reported to be of benefit for managing dogs with concerns.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.