Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Yorkie has loss hair on her back with dry flakey red skin,

Customer Question

Yorkie has loss hair on her back with dry flakey red skin, its about 40% of her back poor thing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Does she seem itchy at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A while but it wasn't bad, 6 months but it wasn't bad, our gave us medicated shampoo, did nothing. Now it's all of a sudden terrible! And yes it's itchy.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Any other treatment besides the medicated shampoo was given? How old is she? I would suspect that she has allergies. Common cause for allergies includes food, things in the environment or a combination of both. It that is the case in addition to the medicated shampoo, she may also need some type of oral medication to help with the allergies as well which will control the itch.

Common medications that are usually prescribed to help with the itch is usually a form of a steroid either injection or pills. There is also a newer allergy medication called Apoquel that seems to work well with some pets.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I send you a pic?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's 7, nothing new. Same food for years, same everything

Thanks for the picture. It definitely looks like she is having an allergy to something. Is she on any flea medication? With how inflamed her skin looks she definitely needs something more than the medicated shampoo to help provide her with some relief.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No flea. They are mostly in door dogs. How do I get her steriods

In regards ***** ***** food, dogs still can develop allergies to their food even if they have been eating the same food for years. What can happen often is that they can change an ingredient in the food and not make it known on the bag and that can cause a sensitivity. As far as getting her steroids you would have to see her veterinarian since it is a prescription medication. He may decide whether to give her a injection or pills.