Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got into a bottle of anti-inflammatory steroids that

Customer Question

Hello, my dog got into a bottle of anti-inflammatory steroids that I left on the kitchen counter. It had 3-4 pills remaining in the bottle. I can't read the label, but it was prescribed by the vet (not aspirin). She weighs 75 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ruby and 12 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?
Customer: She's in good shape, and isn't showing any side effects.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I can't think of any anti-inflammatory steroid prescribed to either people or pets that in the amount of 3-4 pills would be harmful to a 75 lb dog. You might notice transient thirst, volume of urine, and appetite, but Ruby wasn't harmed. There will be no lasting effects. Please continue our conversation if you wish.