Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

How can a sick dog not eat? Ginger is 13. She had a biopsy

Customer Question

how long can a sick dog not eat?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ginger is 13. She had a biopsy yesterday. she's on several meds, will drink some water but won't eat.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: In the last two month has had an IV for dehydration due to vomiting.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Ginger eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we're aware of, had X-Rays done. Nothing apparent
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Ginger had these signs?

What treatments has her vet tried specifically?

Have bloods been tested?

What did they biopsy?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
First lump appeared about 1 1/2 yrs ago with no other effects. In mid August vomiting, IV for hydration, anti nausea meds. This started again 2 weeks ago then another IV and biopsy of original tumor. Now taking meds for appetite enhancement, 2 for vomiting, amoxicillin, indigestion. Blood work ok except for a couple low liver #s. Biopsy results not in.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

If the lump has been present for that length of time, its not likely to blame for the signs at the moment. Though its good they are checking what it is just in case it is doing something odd like increasing her blood calcium (as some cancers will). As well, I am glad to see that she is on those treatments, but am concerned about her not eating. This is because in regards ***** ***** question, we don't want to address her appetite before it gets to that maximum point. It is ~2-3 weeks that they can survive without food, but of course there will be damage and changes to the body before that point.

Therefore, since there are a few different anti-nausea medications and appetite stimulants, you may want to see if her vet can try some others. Otherwise, we'd need to think about syringe feed watered down Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, canned puppy food or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and will break that fast for her. As well, with her chronic signs, we can buy her time with a temporary feeding tube. This would be a very good way to bypass her mouth and get nutrition into her as her vets work to get to the root of this. And if we can get food in at least, we will give her body some energy and means to fight with us to help her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.