Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 4 month old lab just ate a small piece of uncooked pork,

Customer Question

my 4 month old lab just ate a small piece of uncooked pork, a country style rib. what do I need to do??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 4 month old Labrador a dog
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Tucker.

As you might imagine, dogs ingest inappropriate things such as this all the time. Fortunately, the stomach acid can help soften just about any bone and in most cases, if not a huge amount was eaten (as with Tucker), then they will pass through the stomach and intestines with no problem. They might cause a little damage as they are passing through which might result in looser stools for a day or so but this quickly resolves. I don't suggest inducing vomiting the bones since they could cause damage to the esophagus or become lodged there which would mean the dogs are in greater trouble. We hope that they will pass....which happens in the majority of dogs.

What you can do to help move things along would be to increase the fiber in his diet by adding canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix). You can give him 1 tsp twice a day.
You could also give him raw bran flakes such as wheat bran at a dose of1/2 tsp daily or just feed him more food. Also, increased exercise can increase transit time.
Transit time is usually about 24-36 hours in most cases to give you an idea of what to expect.

If Tucker should become lethargic and/or start to vomit and/or doesn't want to eat, then a vet visit may be prudent but more than likely, he's going to be just fine.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Tucker. How are things going with him since he ate the pork bone? Deb