Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has elevated bun 44 creatinine 2.6 and calcium 18,

Customer Question

My dog has elevated bun 44 creatinine 2.6 and calcium 18, had some fluid treatment hadn't eaten for 5 days was going to euthanize but family wanted to say goodbye, dig is eating now seems a little better, should I have hope
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your boxer. Such a severely elevated calcium in his breed is most often the result of malignancy - lymphoma, apocrine gland adenocarcinoma, or various carcinomas. When the calcium exceeds 16 mg/dL, acute renal failure (as demonstrated) as well as cardiac toxicity can arise. I understand your wanting to have hope for him but his prognosis must necessarily be poor to grave. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you think life expectancy is with this condition? He seems to have a will to live , don't know if I should proceed with euthinization, is his sudden desire to eat again a good sign?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No no need to call that's my last question thank you

His appetence is an indication that his hunger is overcoming his malaise but shouldn't be considered a positive prognostic sign in such a profoundly ill patient. The reason for his severe hypercalcemia will need to be clarified for you to know his prognosis. There are a quite a few disorders that can result in hypercalcemia. By the principle of Occam's Razor, however, a boxer with that degree of hypercalcemia is likely to suffer from lymphoma. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It had been one month since my inquiry of my I'll boxer odor. He is still with us and is eating well, I'm making an appropriate with the vet to check blood levels to see where we are at
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

That's a terrific update. Thank you for letting me know. I'd like to be apprised about his new test results. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.