Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Second opinion] - i have a 7 month old black lab mix and she

Customer Question

Second opinion] - hi i have a 7 month old black lab mix and she just recently started limping.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a black labrador
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: i dog.... a black lab
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is no wounds it happens every couple minutes. she'll lift up her left back leg and hold it up. I've examined her leg when that happens and when i mover her leg around there is a popping. but after that one pop it goes away
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: what? no just want to know whats wrong
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sadie. I would be suspicious that that pop represents her luxated (dislocated) patella (knee cap) sliding in and out of the patellar groove. In most cases the medially displaced patella can be moved back in to the patellar groove by straightening the leg out. Low-grade luxations usually cause a transient "skipping" gait (holding the hindlimb flexed and no-weight bearing for a few steps at a time) when walking or running; grade 2 luxation may be assoicated with a consistent limp; high-grade luxation will cause sustained lameness due to secondary limb deformity. This is a relatively easy disorder to diagnose by Sadie's vet. Both palpation and X-rays of the knee should detect the patellar luxation.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 29 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?