Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has lost a claw while out walking today. I have when

Customer Question

My dog has lost a claw while out walking today. I have when his paw but he will not let me get ear thr 'hole'. I am no sure whether he would tolerate my attempts to bandage it . As its Sat afternoon hee should I call the emergency vet or watch until Monday andthen take to the vet
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 28 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

The most important thing is to not allow licking. This is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none

Next, it will depend on whether there is active bleeding. It sounds like there is no active bleeding so simply try to put a sock on the foot to prevent further licking as well and injury to the nail. As long as it is not actively bleeding and you are able to place a sock on the foot you should be alright until Monday when your veterinarian can see you both.

You can also give benadryl 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow resting comfortably and potentially allow Badger to put the sock on the foot. If you are unable to place even a sock then yes I would advise finding another veterinary clinic or a veterinary er to place a bandage and minimize licking and risks of infection.

If you have any remaining pain medications from any previous surgeries that would be alright to give to help with pain. I would not advise anything over the counter because it will interact with what your veterinarian might dispense for pain

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 27 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Badger's foot? Is he tolerating a sock on the foot? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 24 days ago.
Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Badger. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman