Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Is it possible for a dog to be pregnant and not grow in

Customer Question

Is it possible for a dog to be pregnant and not grow in size? I thought my dog got pregnant about 2 months ago because her nipples were swollen after heat but then it went away. And she hasnt gotten any larger, so i thought it was just a false prsgnancy. hess a doxin mix so shes long and slender. But over the passed 5 days or so her nipples and surrounding areas have gotten swollen again but much larger this time. They look like straight utters. So large they hang and swing. So im beginning to think we're gonna have pups any day now, but theyre just small so thats why shes not showing. Is that possible?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No shed showing all other signs of an expecting mom. Shes lazier, she nesting, big time. She has a pile of blankets shes gotten all comfy under my bed. And shes producing milk. She just hasnt gotten any larger. And ive read a dog starts to produce milk a week within giving birth. And this is right around the same time a dog would be giving birth if they got pregnant while in heat. She was in heat roughly 2 months ago and she did get out (she ran outside when i came home because there were a couplebof unfixed chiuauas running around in my street i couldnt het her back in, fonally after a couple of hours she came back to the front door)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

It is possible in these small breed dogs to have a litter of just one puppy. They may not get much larger in the abdomen. They will have significant mammary development and milk production.

The gestation period is 62 days in dogs, so the timing fits. I would get her seen by a vet to see if they can palpate, ultrasound or x-ray to see if she is pregnant. Then you'll know what to expect and how many puppies are present. If there are no puppies in there, then it's probably 2 false pregnancies that you have been seeing at home. They resolve on their own.

My guess is that she probably has 1 or 2 puppies and she just didn't get all that large from it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They can have a 2nd false pregnancy this long after coming out of heat?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would they also show other behavioral signs with pregnancy as well? Besides the physical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she acting kind of funny tonight. A few days ago she drug a blanket from our other dogs bed under the bed and scratched it and moved it until it good for her to sleep on. And normally she sleep on my bed snuggled under the comforter, but she been on that blanket under the bed for about 5 hours now and hasnt moved. So maybe if there are pups, maybe theyre gonna make an enterance soon?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

Often times a false pregnancy is 1-2 months after a heat cycle. They coincide with what a normal pregnancy would last.

The behavioral signs with pregnancy typically come in the last 1-2 weeks. That blanket moving could be nesting behavior. It sure sounds like she is pregnant.