Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 19 y/o female Manchester Terrier named Tippi who

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 19 y/o female Manchester Terrier named Tippi who has been to our vet last week and a half ago to have an enema because Tippi was constipated--she hadn't gone to the bathroom for 4-5 days. The Dr took a look at her, did a scan and said Tippi has a little inflammation, which may be the reason Tippi wasn't poopiing. Now, a week before our visit to the Dr., Tippi had diarrhea, so I gave her a half tablet of my other dog--Tigger's Metronidazole, along with boiled chicken and rice, and that worked for a little while-- and then she got constipated. iSo, an enema was done. We brought Tippi home with 2 meds--Lactulose & Metroclopramide. She had a little leakage, which I guess is to be expected. The following days, she was having diarrhea, so I didn't give her the Lactulose, just the Metroclopramide. Tippi's stools, when she did poop were starting to form again but were really soft. I have given her plain yogurt and have continued giving her boiled chicken and rice until last night when she didn't want to eat it. She would go to her bowl to eat but then wouldn't eat--she'd walk away. She hasn't pooped for 2 days now. I spoke with our vet this morning about Tippi's lack of appetite and told the vet that I felt Tippi was tired of the chicken and rice and asked what other kinds of dog food could i give her. We went out and bought several different brands of food for mature/senior dog. I mixed a pate kind that we just bought with her chicken and rice and initially she ate it. The portions was small-- a little more chicken and rice and 1 small spoon of the pate. That was just before 7 pm. I tried feeding her the same thing at around 11:30 this evening and now she won't touch it. I am at my wits end and I can't sleep when I know Tippi's not feeling her best. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, please.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if Tippi will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tippi?
Customer: Tippi is a stray dog whom I found on April 15, 2016. Since that time to about 2-3 weeks ago, she was eating Pedigree Country Stew. As we kept her in our house, I noticed that she would constantly walk around and at night would bark/ howl loudly for no reason. Her pupils are cloudy. She urinates and defecates wherever. We have kept her in the kitchen and have laid down potty pads throughout the kitchen and utility room floor. She does not/will not drink water for some reason. She has been to our vet after I found her just to find out if she was in good health and she is except for the cloudy vision (I thought they were cataracts but the Dr said they were just cloudy from old age).
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a copy of Tippi's most recent blood work results?
Have any appetite stimulants been tried, such as mirtazapine or cyproheptadine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello,Customer
Thank you for your response. Tippi is eating again and is doing fine. I did a lot of praying & put her back on the boiled chicken n' rice diet and she's eating like there's no tomorrow--LOL! Would you mind please closing this case?Best wishes & kind regards!
Doug from Long Beach, CA

Certainly.