Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

11 lbs dog ate 2 mg of klonapin, Penny 1 yr old, Chewuaha

Customer Question

11 lbs dog ate 2 mg of klonapin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penny 1 yr old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: Chewuaha mix breed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My email:***@******.***
Phone:(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please tell me via text if her life is in danger or not

No problem, John, I will give you the written reply I have been working on and we can have a phone call after that if you are still unsure.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not worry about this too much, Klonopin { Clonazepam } is used in the dog therapeutically so I know it is not toxic to them as such. The dose range for clonazepam in the dog has been reported as 0.05 to 0.25 mg per pound (0.1 to 0.5 mg/kg) orally every 8 hours. This works out as a top dose of 2.75 mg for your 11 pound dog

2. Since 2 mg is within the prescribing range for your weight of dog the chances are Penny will be just fine, a little sleepy perhaps but I would not expect worse than that so you would be taking very little risk in just observing her for present.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

4. Where I give clients advice about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my advice and read further on the subject : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.