Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs breath is worse than horrible. I rescued her from a

Customer Question

My dogs breath is worse than horrible. I rescued her from a friend who said it was bad since she was a puppy. She is now about 4 years old. I tried probiotics with no change. What are the various causes?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we can see bad breath for a few different reasons. The main causes are dental disease, stomach odor and lung issues. As well, depending on the specific odor Daisy has, we can have situations where bad breath is caused by toxin build up as seen with kidney issues or diabetes.

Now hopefully those last 2 are less likely for Daisy, but if you find that she drinks excessively and passing large volumes of urine, then we'd want her checked for those. Otherwise, further to the probiotics, you can bind gases and odor from the gut using OTC activated charcoal. You would just need to use a bit (100-200mg) at meal time to try to rule out stomach odor for her. If she settles, then this can be used as needed. Though if it lingers, we'd want a check with her vet (you can move her next booster appointment up if need be) to determine if those other concerns are present so we can address this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )