Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My brother has a beagle I believe it is and she about 10

Customer Question

My brother has a beagle I believe it is and she about 10 years old. She barely moving around and limping when she does
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: she has a lump on her tummy
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: She barely eating or drinking She doing alot of staring off into space
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been showing signs?

What leg is she favoring?

Any swelling, sores, boney crunching or instability when you feel the leg?

Is the lump a new feature?

Any history of trauma or injury?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Both her back legs. I'm not sure how long lump been there. Yesterday she was really bad. She not moving much now. If hand food she eat, but not go to it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Thank you,

And does she seem weak with them? Or can she not move them at all?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No I don't agree.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Hi again,

I only asked 2 follow up questions (I assume you are responding to the auto-call offer, which you can disregard). In any case, is she weak or not able to move the legs?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
She can move them and stand but she shakes when finally stands.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
She seems in pain I was wondering if she be given something for it.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
There no swelling. No trauma.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Good, I am glad she can.

Now based on her signs and her age, we have a few concerns. Specifically, we’d be most suspicious of underlying arthritis causing her joint pain and thus her limping and reluctance to move. Otherwise, we’d also have to be worried about possible spinal pain (from disc issues, inflammation, growths/abscesses compressing the spine, etc) but thankfully not paralysis at this stage.

Now since she sounds to be severely affected (and her appetite loss and staring sound like a dog in pain trying to cope), I have to say that it would be ideal to get her seen so her local vet can start her on a strong dog friendly pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox, Tramadol, etc). And I have to say that these would be our drugs of choice and there are no appropriate home options since most are dog toxic and we cannot use Aspirin if she isn’t eating properly (for fear of causing a perforating stomach ulcer).

Anyway, any delay and we’d want to also consider some supportive care for her. To start, you can consider warm compressing the hip and hind leg area. You can use a heating pad or even make a safe warm compress by filling a sock with uncooked rice, microwaving it for a few minutes, shaking it to distribute the heat and then apply to the area as needed. As well, as the warmth relaxes her muscle, you may also be able to massage the area if she is amenable to you doing so.

Furthermore, just since she sounds like a chronic case that is worsening, you can try some OTC joint supports. Now these tend to be longer term supports but still could be helpful just now too. First, we may find that supplementing her with glucosamine and chondroitin could help her move more comfortably. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and the ones we typically use for dogs in this situation would be Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals and it can may reduce some of her discomfort. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, another support is Omega 3 & 6 fish oils (EPA/DHA). These are actually a natural anti-inflammatory agent that people use to ease discomfort in inflamed muscles. So, these could be used at this stage as well. A proper daily dose for her size would be 20mg EPA/DHA per pound of her body weight. So, this too could be a consideration for her .

Overall, her signs do suggest a chronic progressive joint disease that is coming to a head and becoming too severe for her to cope with. So, we can use the above but would want her local vet to assess her so that dog safe pain relief can be dispensed to ease her discomfort and get her settled.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )