Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I found a puppy on the side of the road. He can't walk.

Customer Question

I found a puppy on the side of the road. He can't walk. There seems to be something wrong with one of his legs possibly. The biggest issue is that the little guy is super bloated and can't appear to pee or poop. When I pushed on his belly a bit a small trickle of pee came out. I can feel some kind of bubble (possibly air) on his lower stomach as well. I am not anywhere near a vet as well as I am on a remote reserve.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nope
JA: The veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: No idea
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

About how old does this pup look?

Is it straining like it needs to pass urine/feces?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

You noted issues walking, can he move his back legs? Are they cold or can you feel any instability/fractures?

Can he eat for you? Any vomiting?