Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is crying a bit when she stretches on her belly. She is

Customer Question

She is crying a bit when she stretches on her belly. She is a Maltese.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is 4 and her name is Abby
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?
Customer: Her hind legs are up with her front legs are down. Almost like she is trying to rub her belly and stretch it on the floor
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I did want to share more concern about Abby.

What you have reported suggests she has belly pain. The posture she is taking is a prayer position (example) and often seen with pancreatitis but also can be seen if they have severe gastroenteritis, have ingested something harmful, or have ongoing issues with other organs in the abdominal cavity.

With this in mind, it'd be best to have Abby seen right away for dog/gut safe pain relief and for her vet to determine which issue is present so we can address it for her. Any delay or if Abby seems nauseous, you can try her with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. And if she does settle a bit with that, then you can follow up with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Though again as she sounds very sore we'd want to have her seen as soon as we can to get this under control for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )