Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog drank standing rain water about 2 days old was

Customer Question

my dog drank standing rain water about 2 days old was wondering if he will be ok
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: No it just happened
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: Nope
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: very healthy maltipoo
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

My only concern would be that a small mammal carrying leptospirosis bacteria urinated in that water. Drinking that water, then, is how dogs contract leptospirosis - a serious infection that can cause no signs or renal, hepatic, and coagulation abnormalities. Your dog may have been vaccinated against leptospirosis - the "L" in DHLPP combination of vaccines. In general, leptospirosis can be found wherever there is sufficient rainfuall, non-freezing temperatures, and exposure to host animals or urine-contaminated water and soil.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are the signs we need to watch for in the next days I can't remember when he got his vaccinations so can I take him to get those or ot won't make a difference

It would be prudent to have his leptospirosis vaccine updated at your earliest convenience. If signs of leptospirosis are going to appear, they usually do so 7-10 days after exposure. The clinical signs in affected dogs are quite nonspecific, however - lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, and polyuria (increased volume of urine). Please continue our conversation if you wish.