Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My poodle cross breed 6 month puppy had tried jumping onto a

Customer Question

Hello my poodle cross breed 6 month puppy had tried jumping onto a my moms bed that was way to high and my pup fractured is hind leg. He had been wearing a splint for about 5 weeks and u removed it yesterday. The vet told me a couple of weeks ago that he will need to wear a a week or 2 more. But my concern now is that he is not running on it yet and is still mostly limping. Although he does stand on it and walk a little. What should I do? I already have taken 2 x rays btw.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try to get my vet to send me copies of the xrays
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You should listen to your vet who has decided that your puppy's bone(s) have incompletely healed and still need to be immobilized in a splint. Incomplete healing would explain his continuing to favor that leg. In most cases, adequate healing of fractures occurs within 6-9 weeks post-injury. I would be pleased to review any X-rays you could post in this conversation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 30 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?