Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm noticing that my dog is drinking more water and

Customer Question

I'm noticing that my dog is drinking more water and urinating more than usual. I understand that one leads to the other but I'm wondering if I should be looking for other symptoms? I'm thinking of diabetes, infection. What should I be watching/looking for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minerva; 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Minerva?
Customer: she has asthma
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she spayed?

3- Is she currently on any medications?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she losing weight?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, it looks like you have gone offline. I am going to opt out so another expert can help you if you return, I will be going offline for the night. I am sorry I can not wait any longer.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 30 days ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra (infected uterus if Miinerva is unspayed), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Minerva's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.