Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have discovered a bump underneath my dogs fur on her belly

Customer Question

I have discovered a bump underneath my dogs fur on her belly and I'm wondering if it's an insect or a sign of something else?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she's 10
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: Not really anything other than we know she has a cracked tooth that needs to be fixed Otherwise she seems okay
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Lucy. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Can you give me an approximate size of the bump you've found?

2. Does it move or does it seem firmly attached?

3. I'm assuming it doesn't seem to bother her, correct?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It seems firmly attached and it doesn't seem to bother her when we touch it or move her fur off of it to take pictures
I took a picture of the bump and can send to you if that helps- but roughly the size of a dime
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 29 days ago.

Thanks for the picture; this is quite helpful. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 29 days ago.

This doesn't look like any sort of insect bite or sting that I've ever seen. Nor does it look like a skin tag or wart or fatty tumor (lipoma). I suppose it might be a cyst although typically those have more hair on them.

Given Lucy's age, I couldn't rule out something more serious such as cancer although I don't say this to alarm you but just to be inclusive.

It is often not possible to determine what a lump or bump might be based on feel or visualization alone. Usually cells need to be aspirated and examined under a microscope or sent off to a pathologist for review.
And, when it comes to treatment options, we are somewhat limited....we either monitor them, freeze them off if small enough, or surgically remove them.
But, since this lump is not bothering Lucy (and I'd be surprised if it were), I wouldn't consider this to be an emergency situation. I might encourage you to have it checked out but you don't have to take her to an emergency hospital.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb