Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'm sorry to hear about your stressful situation with your ferret. Does the roach spray have permethrin is it as the active ingredient? If so, yes, this can be toxic to ferrets and it can be absorbed through the skin. I would recommend giving him a thorough bath with dawn dish soap (or other grease cutting dish soap you may have) to make sure any spray residue has been removed. As I'm sure you know, you'll want to make sure it's with warm water and that he's dried off well so he doesn't get cold. Otherwise keep an eye on him for any abnormal behavior. Permethrins can cause seizures, so if you see any seizure like activity you'll want to take him into a veterinary clinic right away. But hopefully getting any residual spray off of him will be enough to avoid any problems.
Please let me know if there is a different active ingredient in the spray or of you have any further questions about this issue. I would be happy to help in any way I can. Thanks.
Hi, I'm glad to hear your ferret is still doing well. Imiprothin and Cypermethrin are both pyrethroid insecticides...which is to say they're all part of the same family of insecticide type. This type of insecticide acts as a toxin to the nervous system which is how it can cause seizures and other related signs. Whether the substance is swallowed or absorbed through the skin may change, the signs can be the same. If they ingest it though it generally takes less of the product to cause a problem. That said, it's definitely a good sign that your ferret is still doing well at this point. Since you got him a good bath to prevent further exposure through the skin or licking it off his paws, I think chances are he'll be just fine.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this incident. I would be happy to help in any way I can. Thanks!
If this has not addressed your question, please let me know so I can assist further. Otherwise, please remember to rate. Thanks!