Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience
25745582

I am concerned that my ferret may have ingested some road

Customer Question

I am concerned that my ferret may have ingested some road spray on the floor. I didn't realize there was a small stream of spray still on the floor and I saw him slip on the floor as he walked through it. Glad I saw that or I would have no ideas there was some that didn't get wiped up. I have no idea if he picked up any. At this point he seems normal -has been 30 minutes or more.
What should I look for or do since it is 12:30 am here in Houston? Thank you very much for any info -I am a bit anxious as I read roach bIr is poisonous to them. This was not bait -spray. And I doubt he would have kicked much. I wiped his feet good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'm sorry to hear about your stressful situation with your ferret. Does the roach spray have permethrin is it as the active ingredient? If so, yes, this can be toxic to ferrets and it can be absorbed through the skin. I would recommend giving him a thorough bath with dawn dish soap (or other grease cutting dish soap you may have) to make sure any spray residue has been removed. As I'm sure you know, you'll want to make sure it's with warm water and that he's dried off well so he doesn't get cold. Otherwise keep an eye on him for any abnormal behavior. Permethrins can cause seizures, so if you see any seizure like activity you'll want to take him into a veterinary clinic right away. But hopefully getting any residual spray off of him will be enough to avoid any problems.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if there is a different active ingredient in the spray or of you have any further questions about this issue. I would be happy to help in any way I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the quick reply, It has been over an hour now because at first I tried to find a 1-800 number and was not getting reliable results. Finally found one same time I found your website so tried this.
So far, I think he is ok. I understand the bathing and will do that in a few minutes. If he licked any of it would it be the same thing about seizures?
The Raid spray luckily does not have Permethrins. Label says active ingredients are 0.06% imiprothin and 0.100% cypermethrin and 99.84% other!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
I will do the bath now. At this point it has been a bit over an hr. I could t get a phone hotline so found y'all in Google. It is Raid spray. I emailed the info from my computer. It isn't the one you list. This is from my phone but I think it all gets to you.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm glad to hear your ferret is still doing well. Imiprothin and Cypermethrin are both pyrethroid insecticides...which is to say they're all part of the same family of insecticide type. This type of insecticide acts as a toxin to the nervous system which is how it can cause seizures and other related signs. Whether the substance is swallowed or absorbed through the skin may change, the signs can be the same. If they ingest it though it generally takes less of the product to cause a problem. That said, it's definitely a good sign that your ferret is still doing well at this point. Since you got him a good bath to prevent further exposure through the skin or licking it off his paws, I think chances are he'll be just fine.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this incident. I would be happy to help in any way I can. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 1 month ago.

If this has not addressed your question, please let me know so I can assist further. Otherwise, please remember to rate. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marsha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cloud. How is everything going?

JJ-DVM