Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can anyone tell me what's this on the back of the neck of my

Customer Question

Can anyone tell me what's this on the back of the neck of my dog? He is a Yorkie Terrier.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Thanks for the pictures. Has he been scratching at the area at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not really. We just noticed while we were petting him. Also, we consistently administer the monthly dosis of anti flea and ticks medicine.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Which monthly flea preventative do you apply on him? The area is a little hard to see in the pictures because of the fur but it looks like an inflamed area with a scab. I typically see this with either hotspots or an overreaction to a bug bite or something that was in contact with the skin. How long has it been there for?

Sorry I have to go offline at this time. Since I haven't gotten a response from you yet, I will opt out so another expert can't help you if you still desire assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We use K9 advantix 2
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We noticed this about 4 days ago
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, Customer. I am sorry that Dr. Alleyne had to sign off but I am here to help further.

Is this area raised?

Does it appear purple or bruised?

Is this under where the collar rides?

How long have you been using the advantix? Was this a recent application for the first time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The area is raised, a small but noticeable bump you can feel when you let him. It appears purple and sort of something peeling off. It is not under the collar. We have been using advantix monthly for over a year with no issues, I also do not apply in that particular area.

As Dr. Alleyne had mentioned, it's difficult to see precisely what is going on here due to the nature of the pictures. It does look like an insect bite or sting and this should heal up nicely without major treatment. You can clean the area up to twice daily with a mild soap and dry well, applying regular neosporin after. If the wound remains raised, becomes itchy, the fur falls out, you see oozing, etc. you will need to have the area examined and potentially treated for infection.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion?