DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My Hazeus has a big skin tag on the back of his leg. It got

Customer Question

My Hazeus has a big skin tag on the back of his leg. It got caught on something in the car and after it healed it doubled in size (like a grape). I tied it off but I'm not sure that I got it right enough bc it hasn't fallen off. now it's swollen up to about strawberry size, red with purple and he is starting to lick at it. Can I slice it off without getting it infection?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: On his foot? He does have a spot he licks raw.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is 10 years old but had a knee injury as a pup on that leg and it gets stiff. He's had other fatty tumors removed over the years.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hazeus
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I am sorry to hear about Hazeus' misfortune. Based on what you have described, I would strongly advise that you take him in to see a vet to deal with this situation. At this point it sounds like the tissue is very congested from you tying it off and may become infected, this could then pass bacteria into his body and make him very sick. I would NOT recommend trying to remove the mass yourself. Based on the size, it is likely to have a significant blood supply and removal will lead to a lot of bleeding and a large wound. Without proper removal and suturing, you definitely risk infection. This is not something you can handle on your own. Please take him to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks so much. I will take him in.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 30 days ago.

You are welcome. Please remember to rate my response. Take care