Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My puppies 6 months old she has bad diarrhea with a little

Customer Question

my puppies 6 months old she has bad diarrhea with a little blood at the end and excessive urination she i took her to the vet its not parvo she had all her shots the check for worms and everything and said it was all clear its been going on 2 days the gave me a powder dewormer to put on her food which i started today and when i left and came home she pooped in her cage I took her out side she pooped a lot then when we came inside and i was cleaning her cage she pooped in the living room i was just looking for a 2nd opinion
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Layla
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Layla?
Customer: not that i can think of about a week ago for maybe 2 weeks her eating habits were off she would only eat after she got real hungry I change the flavor but same brand a week ago and she has been eating normal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did your veterinarian get a sample of the urine to test? What is the name of the powder she was put on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She did not sample the urine she just check her poop she said all test were negative for worms or anything but In case there are eggs or something not showing up yet she gave me Panacur Granules and Metronidazole

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she still having the diarrhea? If she is than she may need a little more time for the medication to kick in (maybe or day or so) or she may need to be placed on a bland diet for a couple of days to rule out if the change in diet may be causing the problem. Also you may want to have the urine tested if she is still urinating excessively to rule out an urinary tract infection

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Today was the worst her diarrhea has been it was back to back for about 30 min then a few hours went by and she had excessive urinating 3-4 times back to back in a couple minutes and she's been fine since

She seems to be on the right medication to cover any intestinal parasites or other causes of diarrhea. Seems like the next best thing would be to try a bland diet like boiled chicken and white or preferably a prescription diet to see if it helps. Also you may want to ask your veterinarian about prescribing a probiotic as well. What type of dog is she?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's a American bully

Okay she is a nice looking dog. It may be a dietary sensitivity which can be easily confirmed with the bland diet Most veterinarians prescribe the diet Hill's i/D or Purina EN to help in those cases. The common probiotics that are prescribed include Propectalin and Proviable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help I'll look into those

No problem, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne