Krista Kline
Krista Kline, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
96058759

My dog, toy terrier and chihuahua mix (18 lbs, female fixed)

Customer Question

My dog, toy terrier and chihuahua mix (18 lbs, female fixed) has an upset stomach and is vomiting, it has slowed down to just yellow bile....and a few loose stools....she is drinking regularly and picking at her food....question, I am a nurse and I have Aciphex 20mg delayed release....can I give her one? We are traveling and I am no where near a vet....she is not shaking or having bloody stools or vomitus... Lisa
JA: Might be a virus. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian. Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: no, she pulled a muscle in her neck a few days ago....causing alot of pain....I gave her 1 mg of Zanaflex every 12 hours with one .81 mg aspirin....resolved in about three days....food no, she eats Benefal stews
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no...she is wagging her tail, her gums are pink, jas no outward signs of dehydration or pain she is 7 trs old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Krista Kline replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I am Dr. Kline a small animal veterinarian and I hope I can help you today. I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering them? How long has the vomiting been going on? When she eats is she vomiting? Are you still giving Zanaflex and Aspirin? You would like to try Aciphex correct? That is Rabeprazole and you have a 20mg tablet or capsule?

Thank you in advance for the answering the extra questions. I just want to get a better history on your dog.

Any diarrhea?

Vomiting and regurgitation can be caused by a number of things. It could be related to the aspirin that was given for the neck pain. I worry about gastric ulcers with aspirin use and patients can have vomiting with or without blood, diarrhea, not want to eat and can be very lethargic. I would highly recommend having your dog checked by a veterinarian especially if the vomiting continues over the next day. If she becomes lethargic or withdrawn and vomiting continues diagnostics should be done to determine what the cause of the vomiting is. We would want to make sure the patient didn't eat something that has caused an obstruction and make sure she doesn't have pacreatitis or a metabolic cause for the vomiting. I usually use Omeprazole or Famotidine (pecid) for dogs and we tend not to use Aciphex in dogs. It is safe to try Omeprazole 10mg once daily or Famotidine 10mg once daily. The dose for Aciphex in a dog her size is a 1/2 of a 20mg tablet. If her vomiting worsens or continues I would seek veterinary care immediately. You can try a bland diet of broiled chicken (without skin) and white rice too.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.