Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

IS IT OK TO FEED MEAT TO A SMALL OLD DOG WITH A KIDNEY

Customer Question

IS IT OK TO FEED MEAT TO A SMALL OLD DOG WITH A KIDNEY DESEAS?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: PHYBEE, 16 YEARS OLD, YORKIE
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about phybee?
Customer: SHE HAS VERY HIGH NUMBERS FOR THE KIDNEY FAILURE
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, it is not ideal to feed any more protein to dogs with kidney failure then they require since this increases the kidney's workload. So, giving meat (which is high in protein) isn't advisable. Instead, we want to feel low protein (so no more than 1 gram of protein per pound of her weight daily) diet with low sodium and phosphorus. Though if you are asking this because Phybee is eating poorly, you may need to speak to her vet about anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants to counter those signs of her kidney troubles.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )