Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She is 2 years old and she has never had fleas but she sure

Customer Question

she is 2 years old and she has never had fleas but she sure does have them now. i medicated her with a flea medication called zodiac which was uselesson the 13th. can I go to vet and pick up something that will work. or is it too soon? my son says that they have pills for dogs now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about zodiac?
Customer: it is a flea medication. I have to do something legitimate now!!!!!! will I have to take her for a check up? Is it too soon for her to get some treatment now since she had the zodiac on the 13th of Oct?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that you are having a flea problem with your dog. When addressing a flea problem it is also important to clean and treat the home. Below I have made some recommendations that have worked for many of my patients that had a really bad flea problem. It is okay to start this now after doing the Zodiac on the 13th.

1- Frontline or the generic which is called Pet armour; you can buy this in your local pet store, walgreen's or walmart, costco, online, etc. Apply once a month for at least 3-4 months or all year around if in a warm weather area.

2- Capstar pills, once a day every other day for 2 weeks.

3- Vaccum the home and wash all bedding.

4- Treat the home with a powder called Fleabusters, you can buy this online (amazon.com).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter