Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Do you think it is worth having a stent put into my dogs

Customer Question

Do you think it is worth having a stent put into my dogs ureter, as the right ureter is partially blocked due to her progressive bladder cancer Tumor (tcc); which is causing her urin to bk up into the kidney. If the right kidney stops working will the left automatically take over
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If your vet thinks that she has a reasonable amount of life span, it would be a good idea to have the stent put in. If they don't think she has much longer to live regardless, I wouldn't worry about it. If her left kidney is fully functional, it should be able to handle the load of both kidneys. If 50% or more of its function is gone, though, she will be in kidney failure. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I send you copies of the 3 ultrasound she had could you tell me what you would think further. It looks like the Tumor has been growing about a 1/4 inch per month. I can take a picture with my phon and send them in a text would that work. I just need a second opinion. I just can't give up on her
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

If you can attach them to your next message, I will be happy to look at them. I am not an ultrasonographer or radiologist, though. I know the basics for ultrasound.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I hope you get these
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh and sorr I forgot to send the last page of the Oct. 31 ultra sound (most recent)
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. Give me a few minutes to review them.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Sorry. My response was just erased for some reason. I was just finished with it as well. I will type it out again.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reports. Sorry about the wait. I am having website problems. I was actually thinking you were sending a copy of the actual ultrasound scans. The reports work better. It looks like that mass is progressing. Not rapidly progressing but progressing nonetheless. I am not sure what type of prognosis they have given her, but I would imagine it would be anywhere from 3-6 months. If the left kidney looks completely normal on the ultrasound, it should be able to handle the load of the right kidney. The best way to measure that, though, would be to measure glomerular filtration rate (GFR) of the left kidney. That isn't a test that is easily done, though. It can usually be done only at a veterinary teaching hospital. If the GFR is low for the left kidney, then it probably cannot handle the full load, and putting the stent into the right kidney may help. If it is normal, it should be able to handle the full load. I am not sure of the availability of that test in your area, though, or the feasibility of getting it done. If not feasible, I would be hesitant to put the stent in if she was my dog, given the poor long term prognosis. I may be more likely to just keep her comfortable. If they think her expected life span is longer, though, and the left kidney is in really good shape, then I would do the surgery. I hope this makes sense. There is not really a right or wrong way to approach this, but it is a difficult decision. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well thank you for your honest response. It is just that she is so happy and full of life right now. It is just so hard. Also I forgot to tell you for your opinion. She cannot take piroxicam anymore because she now has a chronic colitis There is a chinese herb that she has benn taking for 4 days now "San Qi pian". Seems to be controlling urin bleeding some. I may put her back on Meticam. I have to wait a full 5 days to get the piroxicam out of her system though. Could you just give me your comment on all of this too. Then that will be all. I thank you sincerely ***** ***** you have a great day!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. The Metacam will not help as well as the piroxicam, but it is better than nothing. I would think that carprofen (Rimadyl) may be a little more efficacious than the Metacam, but I would have to look that up. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay sorry but I tried rating you (excellent by the way). But the site will not let me put it through so I don't know how to get you paid. Any suggestions
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. If you are having problems with the rating, I will send it to the moderators, and they can fix it. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hope so because I have had this problem for some time and they haven't been able to fix. I wanted to leave a bonus. It there is no way I can it won't let me. But I am sur the regular payment will go through. Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

I just sent it to the moderators. They should be able to fix it. Thanks!!!

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
Hi Diane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailee. How is everything going?
Dr. John